Thursday, July 31, 2003

If you have not really noticed and I don’t write too much about it, My life has pretty much been a roller coaster ride for me that is….just when the ride is about to slow down and allows me to have a lil breather, it picks up speed and I’m back on a sick thrill ride that not too many would enjoy. I was taken ill on Tuesday…got back home from my treatment and went to bed because I was feeling really so weak and tired out. Started a feverish shiver that would bring my temp up to nearly 40degrees!!! My folks had no choice but to bring me to the A&E of NUH. Once I got there that would prob be the last time I would get to see any family member for the next four days. The experience did not start out well…I mean I was not looking for a freakin walk in the park but the people there at the emergency ward did not nothing to sooth my pain. One of the young doctors did a lousy job inserting the needle into my vein…but I needed the fluids badly. Since I was having a fever I was to be put into an isolation ward. I had to sit for like 6 hrs before they finally admitted me into a ward at 1am in the morning!!…I started shivering badly again. Doctors visit at night did nothing for me…I was shaking so badly that I finally slept because I was totally exhausted. As long as I was sleeping I was alright…but the flux in my fever temp only brought on more discomfort and pain. I was not hooked on to many things all at the same time. Fluids and antibiotics to fight the virus off. Apart from being real lonely and craving for a can of coke. I truly felt lonely inside like this was finally it….but if everything else had let me down I knew in my heart that God would always be there for me. I prayed vigilantly and the prayers kept my mind and body at ease. The virus would attack me without warning sometimes, I was truly comforted to see a friendly face in Catherine. She has always been a source of comfort in my time of need….I did not really know whether the isolation ward was busy but I had to sometimes wait a whole hour for medical attention which I think is ridiculous. Catherine is extremely proactive in this area which was really cool cause I needed some attention. On the third day of my stay in the hospital I was told that I had to go for a little procedure to take my porto cath out of my chest as they suspected it might be the problem behind my infection. The only thought that was running through my head was “MORE PAIN!!!!!!”. Well after the news I had to starve for a whole day because of the surgery. It was in the late evening when I was transferred to another ward. A more familiar ward…I was actually there when I had the porto cath put into me. but It was nice being around people again. I was pretty tired out and was soon asleep thinking they would only operate in the morning which they did at 4AM!!!
Bring on the pain suckers….it was always feels like you’re in the Antarctica
When you go for any kind of op. The place is freezing cold but they people there always seem to be in a very warm mood!!!…I’m serious. They’re always joking and in a real good mood and there you are lying practically naked on a cold steel table and they’re about to cut you up. It felt lousy being awake through the whole thing but I did not complain that much. I was back in bed sooner then I thought I would be. The next few days in hospital would be good cause even though I had three needles in me and crap load of medicine being pumped into me and the company around me was not the greatest I was feeling a whole lot better then when I had first been in the hospital. The ward I was in was just mainly made up of cancer patients. All the guys who were sleeping around me were like old guys in they’re 60’s. there were 6 of us including myself. There was Uncle ‘freaky eyes’ lim, “air bag’ ali who was sleeping directly opposite me and died….seriously the guy died on my second day there…he was breathing through a bag thus his nickname and the bag just stopped moving one day and he died, pretty freaky huh!! That’s the second time someone had died while I was there in the ward. Then there was there eccentric old Indian man who would not stop babbling. There was uncle ‘deaf ‘ who slept all day and ate through a tube in his tummy and there was uncle “ bones “ who just got skinner everyday. Six players, one down…and five more to go!…I’m glad my folks brought me some stuff to keep me occupied. The nurses there are nice to me cause I don’t give them much trouble. And they remember you better when you come back again. I did not sorely miss saying good bye to the Uncles but I’m glad I made some kind of connection with them. The ward can be a very sad place if your heart is in the wrong place. Families going in and out with tears in their eyes. Children crying or looking really sad cause their parents are in a lot of pain. As I sat in the bed sometimes I could not help but thinking about what goes through the minds of the loved ones or the caregivers.
At the end of the day I’m very glad to know that sometimes even in the FACE of death I’m still smiling cause I’m so assured about where I going after my death and what death means to Christians. Well…that was my adventure for the week. I’m at home now resting and still on medication.
Trying to get my strength so I can push on to lead the life I want to live.
Thank you for reading. Hope you never have to go through what I did…but there always lessons to be learnt from others experiences and I hope you have picked a few from mine. Take care….ride safe.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?